South Australia will reduce capacity limits on family gatherings after the state recorded three new coronavirus cases in just two days.
From 11.59pm on Tuesday, home gatherings will be reduced to 50 people.
Weddings and funerals will also be capped at 100.
An exemption to South Australia’s hard border closure for returning residents will also be scrapped on Tuesday.
This means SA residents previously allowed to cross the border from Victoria will no longer be allowed to do so.
Premier Steven Marshall says 95 per cent of South Australia’s cases in the past two weeks have come from Victoria.
Police Commissioner Grant Stevens says he understands the move may be “difficult” for some but believes it is necessary in response to Victoria’s ongoing coronavirus crisis.
“It sends a message that people should not be complacent,” he said.
“This is not something we do lightly and we understand this impacts families.”